Our update on import feature is a very useful tool that is part of our Import functionality. It allows you to update a large quantity of records in ProsperWorks without all of the manual work. For example, if your marketing team has new information about your Leads, or you need to add Titles for a number of your People records, update on import can help. Here is a quick video that will show you how to use this feature, and the following article will go into more detail on other important things to know.
How it works
Update on import allows you to import new records or update existing records by deciding what to do if duplicates are found between your import file and your existing ProsperWorks records.
When you are importing a file, you are able to choose a "key" field to match records between the file and ProsperWorks. When matched, you then have the option to update the record inside of ProsperWorks with the new fields you are importing.
1. Import your file
Update on import can be enabled after you have selected your import file (Settings -> Import Data -> Select a category -> Import your file). After importing your file, click the "Manage matching records" check box:
2. Identify the Key
Next, you will choose what field you want to identify matching records by (known as your "key" field). The "key" field is what will be used to match records between your import file and your ProsperWorks system.
The following chart shows what fields you can use depending on the type of import you are doing.
For example, below I have selected to match by "Email." Once you select Email as the key, it will ask you to select the column that is associated with Email:
3. How do you want to handle matched records? Please select "Skip" or "Overwrite"
By default "Skip" will be selected. “Skip” means that the import record will not be imported and no change will be made to the matching record in the system.
For example, if you are matching by Email, it means that it will only update records that do not match the emails in the "Email" selected column of your import.
“Overwrite” means that the import record will update the matched record with the columns in your import file.
For example, if you are matching by email and choosing overwrite, records that match the email in your import will be overwritten, but only if any data has changed.
4. Click "Continue Import"
If you have chosen "Overwrite", you will see the following warning before completing your import. You will need to type IMPORT on the red line (in capitals) to continue. Since updating records can have a significant impact on your data, we suggest you start with a test import of 5-10 records.
5. Your import will initialize and complete
6. Try clicking "Summary" when it is complete
Clicking the Summary of your import will bring up information about your import, including the number of records added or changed. The Summary also provides a very important feature, which is an Excel backup of the old records BEFORE they were changed. This allows you to revert your changes by using that file to run another update on import. This can allow you to fix potential issues that came up during your import. This will not be available on imports that do not use the "overwrite" option.
What to take into account
There are some important things to take into account when using the update on import feature.
- You cannot revert an import that used the "overwrite" feature. You can, however, use the excel backup to update the changed records to their previous state.
- If you have duplicates in your import file and you are "overwriting", the last duplicate in the file will be what the record is updated to.
- The ProsperWorks ID cannot be updated.
- Updating Email Address will not replace the current email address, but will instead add a second email address.
- If email address is used as the "key", it will match to ANY email stored in ProsperWorks as a match (ex. if you have people records with multiple email addresses, each email address will be searched).
- If the "key" matches two records, the record with the most recent system update to it will be updated.
- Update on import functionality is available to any user with import privileges.
- If you want to enter new tags or multi select options, please enter the new and the old tags and multi-select data. Tags and multi-select will overwrite all existing data. We are sorry about this.
- Prepare your import file first. If you are updating records, only have columns for the "key" field, and any fields you plan on updating.
- Start with a test of 5-10 records.
- Update on Import is not intended as a data quality tool, but more of a data enrichment tool. We still suggest that you only import clean data into the system.
- See our article on common issues with importing data here.