A single opportunity can live in any pipeline, but you may want to change the fields displayed on the opportunity depending on the pipeline it's currently in. Or you may have users who only work in one of your pipelines and shouldn't see fields that are displayed on opportunties in another pipeline. Custom layouts give you the opportunity to customize your fields per pipeline.
Understand custom layouts
To get a clear understanding of how this feature might benefit your workflow, let's look at an example:
You have a Sales Team and an Onboarding team. When Sales finishes working on an opportunity, they move it over to Onboarding's pipeline in ProsperWorks. The Sales team would need to fill out opportunity fields for things like what tools the prospect used in the past, and what pain points they want to focus on. The Onboarding team then fills out opportunity fields for things like number of users, and products purchased. Neither team needs to see the other team's fields.
Using Custom Layouts, you can prevent the Sales team from seeing the 'Number of Users' and 'Products Purchased' fields while in the Sales pipeline. When the Sales team moves the opportunity into the Onboarding pipeline, those fields become visible, and the 'Tools' and 'Pain Points' fields become hidden. This helps the teams focus on the relevant information to their work.
Custom Layouts let administrators create a separate page layout for opportunities for each pipeline. Each layout can independently specify in what order data fields are displayed and which fields are hidden (invisible) based on the pipeline designation.
You can still update the information. It's not lost. It is just hidden from your default view.
When your users create or update opportunities, the layout of the opportunity changes based on the specific pipeline the opportunity is in and the settings the Admin configured for the pipeline.
When users change the pipeline designation of an opportunity, the layout of the opportunity is updated immediately to reflect the new pipeline’s layout.
Some important considerations for custom layouts include:
- This is not a data security tool. All teams will still have access to any information you have not put special permissions on.
- Custom filtered lists do not respect the different custom layouts. The list of fields available for filtering and the order in which they are presented in custom filtered lists is not impacted by the pipeline’s layout.
- Data exports do not respect the different custom layouts. Data export files will always have the default field order and will include fields that are otherwise invisible on the layout.
- The dev API does not respect the different custom layouts. Dev API data will always have the default field order and will include fields that are otherwise invisible on the layout.
Define your Workflow
To determine if you need custom layouts per pipeline and how you'll use them, ask yourself the questions below:
1. Do you have or need more than one pipeline? Check out the 'Working with Multiple Pipelines' article for help answering this question.
2. It's a best practice to give your team members access to just the information they need to execute their daily tasks. Having access to information they don't need can confuse or clutter their work. Write down the information each team needs to collect and/or see on an opportunity.
- If each team should see the same information, you don't need to build custom layouts.
- If each team should see different information, custom layouts could help you clean up their workflows.
Create custom layouts
Your account admin will need to configure this feature for the system.
To edit your pipeline layouts, please follow the instructions below:
- Sign into your ProsperWorks account and click 'Settings' from the lefthand menu.
- Under 'Customize ProsperWorks', select 'Detail Field Order'.
- Choose the 'Opportunities' in-page tab.
- Choose the pipeline you'd like to customize under the 'Pipeline' drop-down menu.
- Drag and drop the fields in the desired order.
- If you want to remove a field from the layout, click the field name, then click the 'Make Inactive' link.
- Your changes are auto-saved.